Wednesday, October 11, 2006

going home again

In case any of you don't know, I am returning to El Salvador again this Friday. This will be my 4th trip in a little over 2 years.

Liser asked me what it was like to get to know a place so intimately that wasn't home. And it is a unique experience. Oddly, at times during my visits, I feel more at home there than anywhere else on earth. Now, I know that is partially because the trips are so short (only a week). In that time little conflict can exist and everyone feels like part of one big family. But it is always a little disconcerting to me to feel so right in my skin when I know I just have to pack up and leave shortly.

But it is also so wonderful. How many people live their life never feeling that way about any place? And whether imagined or real, it feels like home to me and I enjoy each visit fully. I love the villagers deeply; watching them grow stronger, healthier, happier is amazing. I even love the dirty part of the various projects. (This trip we are working on installing a water system in the village. We will be digging ditch and laying pipe all week long.) And then there is the adventure of getting to know the face and character of a country rather than just seeing it's key tourist spots. This trip I actually get to stay a few extra days and go to the beach and see parts of El Sal that are brand new. That will be so cool!

And then, in the end, I get the joy of returning to my real home in Portland with friends waiting for me. I am pretty blessed! Anyway, if you want to see pics or read a little more about my last trip, feel free to visit the blog I created just for the village: My el sal blog

1 comment:

wendyrella said...

jealous. haiti just got postponed, which is a good thing in some ways, but leaves me further from the possibility of making the trip. have a great trip! be safe!